Monday, September 23, 2013

Improvalicious

A few months back, I attended a Craft Salon at the Fairfield Woods Library with Denyse Schmidt. It was a fun class on how to hand stitch small nine patch blocks. I never did finish my blocks, but I did buy one of her scrap bags that day. Attending one of her classes has always been on my bucket list. A friend of mine told me that one of the exercises is to grab fabrics out of the bag and sew them together into blocks as fast as you can. The idea being that you don't spend too much time thinking about how everything goes together. With this in mind, I decided to try it on my own with the scrap bag. I did spend a little time matching the fabrics, but not too much. I also just sewed them together and trimmed, no squaring up involved.

Here are some of the blocks, I did eight in total.

image

Next, I cut some strips of a neutral solid that I had laying around, and sewed it on to make them into sashed blocks.

image

Here they are, all laid out.


image

I think that I'll square them up next, but keeping the centers a bit wonky. Planning on it becoming a throw. Its so mentally freeing to make the pattern up as you go, a relaxing departure from the triangles. Must get back to those today now that my brain is rested.

0 comments:

Post a Comment